Thursday, October 30, 2014

Cross Country Driving!!



So as everyone knows, back in July, Catherine and I moved across the county from California to Florida. I wanted to vlog the journey, but I was driving, and when Catherine was driving, I was sleeping. So instead, I took pictures, and I am sharing those with you all, and some stories to go along with it! 

We left San Diego around 8am after we loaded up the U-Haul. I have never driven with a trailer before, so I was pretty intimidated. Prior to us leaving, we agreed that I would take the morning/early afternoon shift, and she would take the afternoon/evening shift. The best way for me, personally, to get over a fear or something that makes me uncomfortable, is to just do it. After driving through East County San Diego (lots of mountains, windy roads heading towards Ocotillo Wells), I felt like I could drive through anything. Afterwards, the hardest part of the drive was behind us.

It was all ugly desert until we got to Arizona. Then it turned into the pictures you see below. (sorry for the angle of the photos, I need to get into the habit of changing my phone to landscape for pictures >.<)

Two rainstorms out in the distance in Arizona


 After that, it was literally desert all the way until central Texas.

      Let me tell you some stories about Texas.

The first story we have about Texas, well, we weren't technically in Texas yet. We were going though the Border Patrol Checkpoint at the border of New Mexico and Texas. Let it be known that Catherine has "unlucky" tattooed on her left arm, and "lucky" on her right arm (with some other impressive artwork, but more on that later). It was later in the afternoon, so she was driving. We pulled up to the BP Agent and the first thing he says after asking us how we are doing is asking Catherine "So, are you lucky or unlucky today?" I notice that Catherine is confused, and is thinking that he is going to make us unload our trailer and the truck to make sure we weren't transporting anything. I quickly catch on and say "well... she does have lucky on this arm...!" He snickered, and Catherine realized he was joking, and he let us go. We laughed for the next hour about the situation.


The next Texas story is probably easily, hands down, my favorite story about the trip. I forget exactly where in Texas is was, but we stopped at a gas station that was a major rest stop on the highway. It was pretty busy, so naturally the bathrooms had lines. I was pretty close to the front of a line when a woman comes in, waiting for her kids, or friends, I don't know exactly. But after a moment she says (in an almost quiet bathroom), "come on y'all. I've had babies faster than this." I naturally had no idea how to react, since I didn't know her, but it was the funniest thing I've heard. Ever.



After passing through central Texas, things stared getting green, beautifully green. The trees, that you see on the right, started in Louisiana. Thats also where the humidity started. The picture you see on the right, thats all we saw from Louisiana to Florida.It was absolutely beautiful, nothing like we have in Southern California.

 It was a long drive, took us a few days, but it was a lot of fun! We are making our lives in Florida pretty well. If you ever want to take a drive across the country, I highly suggest you do it! Go with friends, its less dangerous that way :)

What was your favorite trip or vacation? Tell me about it below in the comments!

- Stephanie


1 comment:

  1. My fifth time making that drive across the country, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Enter witty comment here.